Monday, January 6, 2014

Stretchy pants and donuts

I just came across about the millionth pin on Pinterest about "what to pack for the hospital.when having a baby". If there are any first-time mom's out there, this post is for you!
 I really wish Pinterest was around when I had my first little girl, or that someone would have reminded me to bring a pair of stretchy pants to go home in. I don't know if it was baby brain (yes, I am a firm believer in this phenomenon) or if I just thought "oh I'll be ok wearing those maternity jeans." Whatever the issue, I did not have a pleasant time going home. So if you are expecting... don't bring your maternity jeans as your going home outfit, no matter how cute they are. Learn from my experience.

The next thing to learn is to take the stool softener! Don't think,"oh, I won't need that!" I was sure glad I did! I will also be doing this again, as well as eating more greens and fiber! So worth it afterward!

Bring one of those plastic, inflatable doughnut thingies with you. They did not supply me with one and I was so uncomfortable! I don't know if my tailbone or my lady parts hurt worse, but both would have benefited from this handy little wonder! Thanks to my mama, this was a birthday gift three days after I gave birth. I probably used it for 3-4 weeks post-pushing!

This one might be a little TMI, but we've already talked about some pretty embarrassing things.
I was breastfeeding and I needed nipple cream! Thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law, I ended up with some great Lansinoh 100% lanolin nipple cream. There was enough cream in that thing for about a million years, my suggestion is just get about 20 samples. That's probably all you will need. After about 2 weeks I found that I was used to things and didn't need it anymore, but boy those two weeks were a doozie!

I also brought my own towel, a nice, soft, dark colored one. The towels in the hospital a rough and scratchy and hurt to dry anything on. I say a dark colored one for obvious reasons. (If it's not obvious message me.)

Nursing gown and robe. These were a comfort thing more than anything. I would say dark colored gown as well. My robe was pink, hey I was having a girl. I get to use it again as we are having another girl! A nice long, fluffy, snuggly robe. This helps when you have visitors.  I didn't feel so exposed or like I was trying to hide when someone came in my room.

The only things other than the ones mentioned about that I really needed were my own toiletries, hairbrush, and toothbrush. Everything else I either didn't use or just didn't have the energy to want to use. Things like a flat iron, hair dryer, make-up, etc... All I wanted was sleep and I bet you will too!

So to all of you mamas who have gone through this ride before, if I forgot to mention something or forgot something, or if you have additions to this list, leave them in the comments and I will post an update in a future post. I would love to hear what helped you through your delivery stay at the hospital!

I look forward to hearing your experiences and comments!

Until then,
Wen

No comments:

Post a Comment