Friday, February 15, 2013

I'm no Mary Poppins, I'm an Orange Rhino!

  So I have a confession to make... I will just come out and say it... I yell, a lot.  I would like to blame it on hormones, just being moody, the air smelling funny, the cat, anything other than what I know it to truly be... ME!  I absolutely hate this about myself!


  Now I will say that most of the time I am peachy, what you see is what you get from me.  I usually have a cheery disposition just like Mary Poppins. (You can laugh now) I love life most of the time and I love my family and friends, but every once in a while I get a burr under my saddle.  And I would say I am not the most pleasant person to be around and I take it out on my closest, dearest, loves. (Sorry if you have ever been on the receiving end of my yelling!)  Again, I will emphatically say I hate this about myself!

  I can try and remember verses like: " A merry heart is like medicine,"  and " A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."  But when my blood starts to boil a "merry heart" and a "soft answer," are not found around me.

 As I was scanning Pinterest as I do often, (I am working on that one too!)   I came across a pin that interested me.  It featured a pic of a child sitting in a bathroom sink full of water holding a sign that had a picture of an orange rhino on it.  It's caption was pretty simple... "(No Yelling) Be the peaceful mom on the block and stop yelling."  It caught my attention because most of my yelling is directed to my little G Bird.  I really try hard to not yell, but when she is in full melt down mode (you mama's with littles know what I am talking about!) aka wanting that stupid toy in the checkout at Target, I am steamed!  Or for instance, when she will not stay in her bed for anything that really burns me!  I think it's because I would like to think that I have trained her better than that, you know obedience and all...  boy those are the moments that I wish I wasn't a red-head trapped in a brunettes body!

 So I followed the pin.  It lead me to this. *disclaimer, there is some language on this site, I only condone the challenge, however I have been given grace so I choose to extend grace. Just like my daddy used to say, "Don't through the baby out with the bath water."*    It has loads of wonderful tips on keeping your cool with your little ones and it has a challenge. Some are really crazy, but I can see how they would help.   I have decided to take this challenge.  The Orange Rhino Challenge.  The rules are simple:

 1.  My voice has to remain in Levels 0-4 (the nice tone voices!)
 2.  In case of Emergency (kid running off in parking lot, kid running into street, hot stove etc…) I can use a voice in level 6 but it has to be yelling “to” the kid not “at” the kid. When you yell at someone, it’s mean. When you yell “to” someone it’s to get their attention. Said voice MUST be followed by firm voice in level 3 or below otherwise it’s no good.
 3.  This one is the kicker. If Level 7 is ever used, I am set back not to 0, but by two days. This level is unacceptable as it is extra demeaning and hurtful….

  She has a tracker that you can print off and I have done so.  I will post pictures in a later post of my progress.

I am going to first try this for a week, then a month, then 6 months, then a year.  I am asking all of you who read this, help me stay accountable.  I have every good intention to do good then I let it go, it trails off once I get complacent or if it doesn't work right away.  Also, if you have a problem in this area I urge you to check into this as well and maybe participate in the challenge alongside me.  Let me know if you are going to do it, we can keep each other on track!

Pictures and progress later,
Until then,
Wen

No comments:

Post a Comment